Tuesday 20 August 2013

Post 5 - Script Formatting

Before writing the first draft of my script, I took the opportunity to look at various websites with tips and outlines on the process of formatting. This website gave me a detailed overview on this process and from it I have selected aspects which I feel are most relevant for me.

Below is the information the website has on FONT, MARGINS, AND SPACING, as I have only written a full script once [my group's opening squence video didn't contain any dialogue and we did not feel a need for a script] for a previous media short, it is important I am aware of the specific features of this aspect of script formatting. 


____________________________________________________________



Screenplays live on letter-sized paper (8.5 x 11 inches). They're always written in Courier font, 12 point, 10 pitch. No bold, no italics.
Page Margins:
Left: 1.5 inches
Right: 1 inch
Top: 1 inch
Bottom: 1 inch
Screenplay Element Margins
  • Slugline: left margin 1.5 inches
  • Action: left margin 1.5 inches
  • Character name: left margin 3.7 inches
  • Dialog: left margin 2.5 inches, right margin 2.5 inches (or 6 inches from left edge of page)
  • Parentheticals: left margin 3.1 inches, right margin 2.9 inches
Spacing Between Elements:
  • Between Slugline and Action: double space
  • Between Action and more Action: double space
  • Between Action and Character Name: double space
  • Between Character Name and Dialogue: single space
  • Between Dialogue and the next Character Name: double space
  • Between Dialogue and Action: double space
  • Between Character Name and Parentheticals: single space
  • Between Parentheticals and Dialogue: single space
  • Between Action and Slugline: double space
  • Between Dialogue and Slugline: double space
________________________________________


I also picked on this point 'The very first time a character's name appears in Action, it appears in ALL CAPS.' I was unaware of this and the extract to the fright, from Marvel's 'Avengers' also brought this to my attention. 'Cap' and 'Fury' have been written as both characters have already appeared in the scene.

No comments:

Post a Comment