Tuesday 9 July 2013

Post 3 - Characterisation

Definitions of Protagonist and Antagonist

Protagonist: Synonym to 'hero', the main character of a film which the conflict will effect the most.


Noun
1. The leading character or major character in a drama, movie, novel, or other fictional text.
2. The main figure or one of the most prominent figures in a real situation

Protagonist from 'Welcome To The Punch' - Max

Antagonist: Synonym to 'villain', the character who goes against the protagonist, is the one causing the conflict in a film.


1. A person who actively opposes or is hostile to someone or something; an adversary.
2. A substance that interferes with or inhibits the physiological action of another.

MY FILM IDEA

Log Line: 'Whilst the rest of the world begins to lose their memories. A sole teenager starts to learn things about the world that they had never dreamed of.'
Protagonist - Thomas is an 18 year old male from a working class background going to Oxford Uni, who doesn't fit into a set social group, somewhat of a 'mis-fit'.
Antagonist - For this film, the antagonist is not a single person, instead it is an event. This event being the removal of memories from people's brains by an unknown source.

Interview with my protagonist
I conducted an interview with my protagonist to gain an idea of how they would act in certain situations and what their characteristics were, without knowing details about the character, I wouldn't be able to construct a plot around them. 

Questions from Sabene to me about my protagonist:
Do you find your background affects your daily life at university?
How were you able to enter Oxford?
Is it difficult not fitting into a social group, is so why?
Why are you classed as a 'mis-fit'? Are you content with this classification, if so why?
Do you enjoy University life? Why?

What do you study at university?

Answers to questions above:
1. Yes, because of my working class background, I am subject to prejudice, especially when in class or evening events.
2. A lot of hard work, I deem myself as being very intelligent, although I try not to brag about it, or have too much of a big head.
3. Of course, not really fitting in means there aren't a lot of fellow students whom I get along with, nor converse with on a daily basis.
4. Within the uni it is mainly because of my background, but also because I'm not athletic  musical or fit into a 'stereotypical classification' within education. Not particularly, I am a shy individual and struggle to be myself, this is why I don't like the classification, but I want to overcome it.
5. As a majority, yes. I love my subject, my professors and learning new things and having new experiences. However, the social side lacks interest to me, although having only been at University for, oh, coming up to 5 months now; I'm hoping this will change.
6. I study Law.

From the interview above, I created a moodboard for my protagonist, this moodboard will take aspects of the answers and visualise them, from this I can set up the plot.

I also made a moodboard for my antagonist, however, as there is not true antagonist, not a physical villain the moodboard consists of ideas about how it could work.

No comments:

Post a Comment